The 2012-2013 season gets started for San Diego basketball on November 9 in San Diego against San Diego Christian. Expectations are that this year's Toreros team can match last year's. They hope that the loss of the players that gave them 13% of their minutes last season will be offset by the efforts of five incoming freshmen.
The San Diego offense will suffer from a 19.9% drop in assists, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. After that, they'll hurt almost as much in three-point shooting, where they drop 17%.
Last season, San Diego put up a final overall record of 12-17 and placed 6th in the West Coast regular season with a conference record of 7-9. The Toreros went on to the West Coast tournament where they lost to Brigham Young, 73-68. San Diego lost last year's senior Darian Norris (26 minutes per game). The Toreros must also do without Ben Vozzola (3 MPG) and Blair Banker (1 MPG), who left the team.
Returning for the Toreros are sophomore Johnny Dee (13.7 points/game), sophomore Christopher Anderson (5.0 assists/game), senior Ken Rancifer (1.1 assists/game), senior Chris Manresa (8.8 points/game), and junior Dennis Kramer (1.2 blocked shots/game).
Incoming freshmen include 5-11 Therone Tillett, 6-5 Duda Sanadze, 5-10 Jordan Bickerstaff, 6-6 Trey Guidry, and 6-9 Jito Kok. Other players joining the team include 6-2 junior Mike Davis (transferred from Texas Tech) and 6-6 junior Thomas Jacobs (transferred from Cal State Northridge).
The Toreros have three games on the schedule against AP preseason Top 25 teams, at #20 San Diego State on December 15th, #21 Gonzaga on February 2nd, and at #21 Gonzaga on February 23rd. San Diego kicks off West Coast play on January 3rd against Portland.
Tags: Darian Norris
- Since 2002, San Diego has an overall winning percentage of 45.5%.
- The Toreros have an average conference finish of 5.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 4.7.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 163.6.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Gonzaga (#25).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Cal State Northridge (#321).
- The last time San Diego returned more than 87% of the team's statistical production was 2008-2009.
, Ben Vozzola
, Blair Banker
, Johnny Dee
, Christopher Anderson
, Ken Rancifer
, Chris Manresa
, Dennis Kramer
, Therone Tillett
, Duda Sanadze
, Jordan Bickerstaff
, Trey Guidry
, Jito Kok
, Mike Davis
, Thomas Jacobs